Hard water leads to all kinds of problems, some of which can damage expensive appliances. If you have hard water and want relief, a whole house water softener installation may be the answer. Call us today for more information and a consultation.
If your home’s plumbing is over 50 years old, pipes are in danger of bursting because of corrosion. Check out our repiping service and find out how we can help.
What Causes Hard Water?
Hard water means the water has a high mineral content in contrast to soft water which lacks the minerals. When water flows through deposits of limestone, chalk, or gypsum, it creates hard water. Hard water isn’t dangerous to drink and can even be beneficial. However, sometimes it causes issues with appliances and water fixtures.
Symptoms of Hard Water
As mentioned, hard water isn’t necessarily a health concern, but some homeowners find hard water to create other problems. Here are signs you have high mineral content in your water.
- Mineral Buildup Around Fixtures: You’ve no doubt seen mineral deposits around water faucets and showerheads. And while this buildup looks unsightly, it also causes these fixtures to clog and makes them tough to use.
- Soap Scum: Soap scum around the bathtub or on the shower curtain is an eyesore and tough to clean. High mineral content means soap doesn’t dissolve properly, which leaves this unsightly residue.
- Appliance Failure: Water heaters and other appliances can have shortened lifespans because of hard water buildup.
- Dry, Itchy Skin: Dry skin in winter is common, but if you have dry, itchy skin year-round, it could be that the hard water is leaving detergent and soap residue on your skin.
- Dull, Scratchy Clothes: Clothes that turn dull quickly or that are stiff are victims of hard water.
- Spots On Dishes: White spots on glassware and dishes are sure signs you have hard water.
If you’re sick of your old, uncomfortable bathroom, call us for our bathroom remodeling service.
Benefits of Water Softener Installation
So, you’re dealing with hard water, and you want some relief. Thankfully, that can be had with a whole house water softener installation. These systems remove the high mineral content in your water, such as calcium and magnesium, to protect your pipes from clogs and corrosion. Soft water also gives you a more pleasant bathing experience because soap dissolves appropriately, and won’t leave behind residue. The result is hair that has more body and skin that is softer. Lastly, softer water means longer lifespans for your appliances like water heaters, dishwashers, and coffee makers.