Pressure regulators are one of the most important yet often forgotten parts of every plumbing system. The small valves may be out of sight but they shouldn’t be out of mind. They play a huge role in keeping your appliances in safe, working condition and in ensuring that water is delivered to your home properly.
To learn why pressure regulators are so important, speak to an expert Fredericksburg plumber at Plumb Perfect Plumbing. Call us or contact us online today!
To ensure that your pressure regulator is functioning properly and that your tank is free from leaks, you may perform a hydrostatic test. Hydrostatic testing works by filling the vessel with water, taking out the air, and pressurizing the unit up to 1.5 times beyond the design’s limit. The testing agent holds the pressure for a certain amount of time to observe if there are any leaks. Sometimes, you can use tracers like dyes to find out where any cracks may be.
How to Maintain a Pressure Regulator
Like any other piece of equipment in your home’s plumbing, routine maintenance of your pressure regulator ensures that it’s functioning properly and allows you to identify small problems and fix them before the grow into large ones. Here are steps to checking your pressure regulator for flaws and maintaining it.
- Check the pilot system for leaks or cracks and make sure the fittings are tight.
- Check to see if there’s air in the pilot system and if so, bleed it out.
- Check the strainer screen and clean it if it’s dirty.
- Check that the fittings aren’t blocked and drill them out if they are.
- Test the main valve diaphragm and make sure the water stops flowing when the valve is open.
- Check the pilot diaphragm and make sure there is no water dripping out. If you see a leak, make sure it’s not just condensation, and if it is leaking, call for a plumber.
It’s essential that you maintain your pressure regulator. If it seems like too much of a chore, call Plumb Perfect Plumbing and ask about our pressure regulator repair and maintenance services.
Bringing Balance to Your Home
Pressure regulators make sure that the water pressure in your home is just right. The valve enables high-pressure water coming in from supply lines to be reduced to safe and usable pressures before being carried into your home. This is an important role – if your water pressure is too low, daily activities like showering or washing dishes become impossible. If your water pressure is too high, it can weaken your plumbing system as a whole and lead to emergencies in the future.
Too much water pressure can cause burst pipes. Give us a call if you need burst pipe repair services!
Why It Matters
Pressure regulator valves are often overlooked as many people are unaware of their important role in the plumbing system. However, their proper care and maintenance are crucial.
Unchecked water pressure can lead to many serious issues around your home, such as:
- Broken or burst pipes
- Damage to appliances like your dishwasher, refrigerator, or washing machine
- Running toilets
- Leaky sprinkler valve